Sunday, January 8, 2017

So you wrote a book! Now what?


So you wrote a book! Now what?

Whether you just completed your first NaNoWriMo, or you’ve been dabbling in stories for a while, there comes a time when you ask yourself: Now what?

You’ve just done this wonderful, amazing thing. You’ve created. A world. Characters. You’ve breathed life into them and they are your babies. You love them and you want to share them with the world!

But how to do that?

You’ve reached the first fork in the road: Do you self-publish or try to get traditionally published?

Edinburgh, Scotland, 2015 Photo by Erik Lundmark

There are pros and cons to both routes.

My advice applies to both options, but is targeted toward the end goal of successfully querying agents and ultimately, a traditional publishing deal.  

Warning: I’m not an expert. I have not been published yet—and I still don’t even have an agent, but I am so much closer to those goals at the start of this year than I was last year, or even two years ago. Publishing is a constant upward climb. So, take this information for what it’s worth: the advice of someone who has come before you.
While you're still here at the start of the trail:

Holyrood Park, Edinburgh, 2015, Photo by Erik Lundmark

I've already climbed ahead. And the view from where I stand looks like this:

Holyrood Park, Edinbugh (view from Arthur's Seat) 2015, Photo by Erik Lundmark

Over the next few weeks I’ll post—starting at square one—what you can do to further your writing journey.

Today I want to talk about patience. 

Raasay, Scotland, 2105, Photo by Erik Lundmark

You’ve written an amazing book. Your mom loved it. Your roommate thinks it’s the next best seller, and you are sure that your dream agent is just waiting to hear from you. You are READY to send your book out in to the world.

WRONG!

Arthur's Seat, Edinburgh, 2015, Photo by Maya Lundmarak (No photographers were harmed in the taking of this picture.)

Don't be a casualty of novice writer pitfalls! Follow these guidelines for a better experience!



Isle of Skye, Scotland, 2015, Photo by Erik Lundmark

Today is the great day when you will learn patience. Take all that excitement and funnel it into . . .


PATIENCE

There are plenty of things you need to do before you send that query letter.

I’ll be honest.

You probably should not start querying for about a year.

A year?!

But I’m ready now!


Nope.

Kilchurn Castle, Scotland, 2015, Photo by Maya Lundmark (No writers were harmed in the taking of this picture.) 

Trust me on this one, you don’t want to start querying too early or you’ll burn your bridges and kick yourself for not waiting.
There are so many things you need to do before you query, and instead of being so eager to fall on your face, take my advice. I’ve got a checklist. If you can master all these things in less than a year, more power to you.
For each bullet on the checklist, I’ll be writing a detailed post. Subscribe. This is going to be fun! I promise. You'll be so busy climbing, you’ll almost forget how anxious you are to get that manuscript under agent noses.

Edinburgh Castle, Scotland, 2015, Photo by Maya Lundmark


My Checklist
*If there is a live link, it means the post has been written. If not, wait for it! I’m still writing.*





·        Write something new. Never stop the creative juices flowing. Chances are, your next book will be the one that nets you an agent.


·        Learn how to write the query letter that will get you interest instead of getting you deleted.

·        Write the dreaded synopsis.

·        Master your first page.

·        Master the important pacing structure of a good novel.

·        Know your age category, genre, and respective word count expectations.

·        Choose comp titles—or not.

·        Stay positive. Carry on. Don’t get discouraged. Develop thick skin. Don’t quit.

Hopefully that’s enough to get you started!

Subscribe below by entering your email in the box. (Be sure to click on the verification email to successfully subscribe.) Or check back for posts on the topics above.
I’ll share little tips I’ve learned from personal experience as well as links to great resources that will help you put your best foot forward.
Now . . . let’s get started!  

Kilchurn Castle, Scotland, 2015, Photo by Maya Lundmark

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post, Tara! I loved the tips and pictures! I definitely agree about not querying too early. I did this and discovered I still had a lot to learn. I cringe when I re-read the queries/first chapters I sent out nearly two years ago when I thought I was ready. I've started querying again and have seen much better results. It's a process, and I don't know when I'll reach my goal of having an agent and getting published, but I know I'm getting closer. Good luck with your own search!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments! It's definite a learning process and a journey. I wish you the best of luck with yours!

      Delete